Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Yo Pawp(aw)s!

Time to mark your calendars ladies and gentleman, the dates for the 2010 Ohio Pawpaw Festival have been announced.

The festival is scheduled for the 18th and 19th of September and will be located at Lake Snowden in Albany, Ohio. This annual fest is the largest pawpaw celebration in the entire world.

Now I know that you're probably thinking to yourself "Wow, Pat, this festival sounds amazing and I'm really excited, but...what in the hell is a pawpaw?" well loyal readers, I'm glad you asked.


A pawpaw is an exquisite fruit that is very prominent here in Southeastern Ohio. I never really experienced a fruit quite like this. It offers the consistency of a banana but the taste resembles that of a pear, a bit. Basically, it's delicious. According to the Ohio Pawpaw festival's website, chilled pawpaw was the preferred dessert of George Washington. So, first President of the United States and also a pawpaw lover, just some coincidence? Hm, well, that's for you to decide.

The reason my blog and I are so excited for this news is mainly because pawpaw's can be used to make a long list of delicious beverages. Beer seems to be the most common drinkable pawpaw creation. Jackie O's, local pub and brewery, is known for producing a highly appetizing pawpaw wheat ale. Unfortunately, this particular beer is only offered seasonally so I won't be able to get my hands on any of it until late summer. I've tasted pawpaws before, but never in the form of any sort of beverage so I'm very much looking forward to attending the 2010 Ohio Pawpaw Festival. And don't worry readers, I will be sure to be attending the annual festival with a very thirsty pallet.

Image courtesy of Wikipedia.


No comments:

Post a Comment